Technical Design Manager
The Technical Design Manager is responsible for maintaining consistent fit standards, manufacturing methods & pattern blocks within the product line and between multiple factories. This begins with prototype development through commercialization including material and trims development, prototype, and wear testing to assure the design functionality and standards are implemented. Manages, trains and mentors the Technical Design Assistant in their rolls to support the Technical Design team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for establishing overall execution of fit, construction and setting up processes for optimum quality of the product from Prototype through Production approval
- Establishes and maintains company blocks, standard grades and tolerances and develops blocks where needed
- Works directly through agents and with manufacturers in factories to execute approved style, fit approval and correct construction within the Time and Action Calendar
- Works closely with Designers, Product Managers, Sourcing office and outside partners to develop products that are reproducible, meet direct cost targets and wholesale margin requirements, and to ensure compliance to the brand. This may also include requirements such as ISO, ANSI, NFPA and other standards
- Develops and routes Technical Packets including size and fit specifications, construction details, and completed Bill of Materials required for an accurate and detailed costing
- Evaluates all prototypes and samples for size, fit and construction
- Manages the process of requesting development samples
- Manages fit sessions with Product Managers, Designers and Merchants and fits garments to assure proper size, function, and aesthetic and technical execution of design
- Reviews, revises and records specifications for changes made during the development process including fit, styling and/or construction details
- Manages and Trains Technical Design Assistant in their daily duties and responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adherence to Noble Rider LLC Policies and Procedures; Upholds organizational values.
- Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly; Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Maintains Noble Rider LLC confidentiality terms and agreements per employee handbook
- Is consistently at work and on time;
- Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Remains open to other’s ideas and shares expertise with others; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Works ethically and with integrity.
- Treats people with respect and consideration.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment and willingness to make decisions; Supports and explains reasoning decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Measures self against standard of excellence; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions
- Meets productivity standards; Strives to increase productivity; Completes tasks correctly and on time; Uses time efficiently; Aligns work with strategic goals; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Displays orientation to profitability
- Exceptional organizational skills required and the ability to prioritize workflow based on PO schedule.
- Demonstrates willingness to go above and beyond the minimum requirements to reach team goals.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Travel as required.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a technical designer
- Ability to accurately execute 3-D garment fit issues into 2-D pattern corrections
- Experience applying grade rules to retain established fit, function, and styling and sew ability.
- Ability to communicate technical information via the Noble Rider LLC Technical Specification packages.
- Experience developing multiple product lines a strong plus.
- Thorough understanding of product engineering and manufacturing process.
Language Skills: Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills are required. Aptitude for active participation in open-minded exchange of ideas is highly beneficial.
- Ability to verbally explain construction fit and pattern revision instructions clearly and concisely.
- Ability to present information effectively in one-on-one and small group presentations to customers, clients, and other employees of Noble Rider LLC.
Mathematical Skills: Must possess:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers, fractions and percentages
- Strong knowledge of garment seam construction to properly use a measuring tape
Reasoning Ability: Creative problem solving skills using sound judgment and diplomacy are necessary. Technical Designer must have technical skills and knowledge to produce the most practical and cost effective solution to unanticipated situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have extensive computer experience including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience in Adobe Illustrator or PDM / PLM software preferred but not required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. The employee is frequently required to use arms and hands to reach grasp and hold, and fingers to handle and feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance; for color a minimum of Average rating on the Munsell Farnsworth 100 Hue Color Discrimination Test.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.